AmeriCorps VISTA (full year)*culture is not optional runs the Huss Project, which is transforming a former elementary school in the rural city of Three Rivers, Michigan into a community hub for growing our capacity for imagination. For the next year, we are building on our efforts to develop a more resilient and just local food system in our rural city and growing our experiential learning opportunities on our urban farm. We are hiring three positions this year: Farm Eduction Coordinator, Food Distribution Coordinator, and Events & Communications Coordinator. Huss is at the center of a multi-faceted, community-wide effort to strengthen local food systems while providing land-based education, particularly for low-income households and using universal design principles that improve the system for all. In the inner circle of the ecosystem is an urban farm, a neighborhood farmers market, and multiple food distribution programs. These entities are connected to numerous food producers, businesses, civic organizations, and social service agencies throughout the city. Our AmeriCorps VISTA project will help build the capacity for this system to meet the next level of its potential. Experience with activities like social research, community development, event planning, education, program development, volunteer coordination, permaculture design, food systems, non-profits … these are the types of things we’re looking for in people who will thrive collaborating at a high level with a grassroots org in a funky, small, Midwest city. We’re looking for people with solid enough experience to function as peer collaborators in creative design toward significant community outcomes, in a spirit of curiosity, joy, and accountability. Here are four words that are floating around for us at the moment as we search: compassion, collaboration, innovation, and detail-orientation. Visit our listing on the AmeriCorps site to submit your application. Applications are open until April 15, but we’re looking to fill these positions as soon as possible to allow our VISTAs to plan for a May 9 start date. Here are some more details:
- Application deadline: April 15, 2022
- Dates of service: May 9, 2022 to May 8, 2023
- Weekly commitment: Full time, 40 hours per week
- Compensation: living allowance (just over $12,000/year), plus educational award or end-of-service stipend and health insurance
- Housing: Reduced-cost housing available ($250/mo. including utilities)
- Other benefits
- Apply here!
AmeriCorps Summer Associates*culture is not optional (*cino)/The Huss Project is also looking for four compassionate, creative, hard-working people to join us full-time for 10 weeks this summer as Americorps VISTA Summer Associates! Applicants should be 18 years of age or older, with a passion for serving our Three Rivers community through urban farming, event planning, and youth engagement. The term runs from May 31 – August 8, with a living stipend and choice at the end of the term of an education award or a cash stipend. Housing is available for Summer Associates this year. Applications are being accepted until May 6 or until all three positions or filled, so apply today through the AmeriCorps web site!
- Application deadline: May 6, 2022
- Dates of service: May 31, 2022 – August 8, 2022
- Summary of work: Educational programming and physical labor in support the Huss Project Farm, Huss Project Farmers Market, food distribution events, and more
- Weekly commitment: 36 hours
- Compensation: Living allowance of ~$2,500 plus educational award or cash stipend
- Housing: Reduced-cost housing available ($625 for the 10-week term, including utilities)
- Apply here!